Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Oven-Roasted Fiddleheads with Capers and Lemon

one brief week of spring-y bliss.
Oven-Roasted Fiddleheads 
with Capers & Lemon.
Roast-y, brine-y furled fronds. Plus a little lemon, for good measure.
A little spring confession, guys? I don't really care that much about asparagus. Scandalous, I know. 
It's not that I don't enjoy the taste, and I've been know to buy a bunch here and there, it's just that I don't get wrapped up in the yearly asparagus mania that seems to afflict most everyone around me. I used to care more, I really did, but somewhere along the way the infatuation more or less wore off. Instead, I reserve my spring hysteria for two food items- radishes and fiddleheads. 
OMG fiddleheads. 
Those magical furled fern fronds (alliterative food is the best food) that are only available for an ever-so-short spring window- 
they're totally worth getting frenzied over.

But alas, the moment is brief.
Enjoy them while you can.
And then wait 345 days until they come around again. 

Oven-Roasted Fiddleheads
with Capers & Lemon
(serves 2 as a side)

2c fiddleheads
3Tbsp capers
2Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4tsp sea salt
1-2 thin lemon slices


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 

Wash fiddleheads thoroughly, at least 2-3 times.
Trim away any brown ends of fiddlehead stems. 
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and blanch fiddleheads for 5 minutes.
Drain and plunge into an ice water bath to stop cooking. 
Drain thoroughly and toss with lemon juice, olive oil, capers, salt and lemon slices.
Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 8-12 minutes, 
until lightly browned and crisp around the edges. 


Til' we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment